Why Centurion & Gram Tarang?
Centurion University of Technology & Management (CUTM), established through a legislation passed in 2010 in the Orissa State assembly is a private state university of Odisha constituting of a School of Engineering, School of Management, School of Basic Sciences, MS Swaminathan School of Agricultural Sciences, and, a School of vocational Education & Training. These are setup at 4 constituent campuses mostly in remote, tribal districts like Paralakhemundi, Rayagada, Bolangir & Bhubaneswar with a total campus area of over 200 acres with over 5,000 students in its under graduate and post graduate programs.
- Centurion University of Technology & Management (CUTM) enacted as a state university in 2010 with the Honorable Governor of Orissa appointed as Chancellor
- CUTM is unique in that it has a School of Vocational Training incorporated in the act, to underline its commitment towards skill development & vocational education & provide additional impetus to its partnership with NSDC
Apart from higher education, the University has a major focus in skill building & vocational training through the School of Vocational Education & Training and was one of the first ever partners of NSDC in 2010 when it created an entrepreneurial outreach, Gram Tarang Employability Training Services Pvt. Ltd. (GTET). GTET has already trained over 70,000 youth across 15 centers in Odisha, AP, Telangana, Jharkhand, Assam and Himachal Pradesh and is working towards an overall mission of making 100,000 youth employable annually. The current capacity to train is 15,000 youth per annum. The focus has been on manufacturing & production and GTET has consistently maintained a placement rate of over 80% for its vocational trainees, with placements across the country in more than 120 companies.
Centurion - Gram Tarang have established a unique model in vocational education and skill training whose underlying philosophy relies on experiential based learning, hands on knowledge and practice oriented teaching as well as enabling lifelong learning even after the students are placed. This is achieved through industry partnerships with leading players in different sectors like Ashok Leyland, Yamaha, Hyundai, Volvo Eicher, Godrej & Boyce, Café Coffee Day etc.
The skilling activities at Centurion Gram Tarang have won many accolades. Gram Tarang was awarded as the Best Skill Provider in India by NSDC. Centurion University and Gram Tarang were awarded for three successive years by FICCI at the global skills summits in 2012, 2013 & 2014. The Bhubaneswar center (based out of the University’s campus) won the best center award at NSDC partner meet in 2014. The Centurion – Gram Tarang model has also been quoted as a best practice in the UN General Assembly note on Higher Education.
Partnerships & Affiliations
- One of the first ever partners of National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) signed in 2010
- Category A partner of Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India for placement linked training program under Deen Dayal Upadhyay Grameen Kaushal Yojana (DDU GKY) to train over 8,000 youth per year in Odisha & Assam
- Partner of Odisha State Employment Mission, SC/ST Dept. Govt. of Odisha; Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas, Govt. of Telangana; Employment Generation & Marketing Mission, Govt. of AP, Urban Development Department, Govt. of Jharkhand; Dept. of Higher Education, Govt. of HP; Employment Generation Mission, Govt. of Assam
- Directorate General of Employment & Training, Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship: Operate 6 NCVT affiliated ITIs & Institute of Training of Trainers; empaneled assessment body for assessment of trainees as well as assessors
- Approved institution by UGC for delivery of higher qualification programs from NSQF level 1 to 10 (including Diploma, Advanced Diploma & B Voc programs) in partnership with industry under Deen Dayal Upadhyay Kaushal Kendra scheme http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/5375293_DDU.pdf
- Selected by DGET (NCVT) to sign a flexi MoU in order to offer ITI level certifications in flexible work integrated mode with recognition of on the job training and also the only Private Institute for Training of Trainers (ITOT) in the East.
- CUTM is an Assessment partner of DGET in over 6 states with a pan India presence and more than 100 qualified assessors for assessments under SDIS/DDU GKY and other schemes
- Curriculum, technical knowledge sharing & certification partnerships with MSME Tool Room Govt of India, Café Coffee Day, Ashok Leyland, Bosch, Godrej & Boyce, GAP Foundation Centurion University, Kaziranga University
- Operates the only Mini Tool Room & Training Center setup as a PPP with Govt. of Odisha (funded by Planning Commission) which does high end training (Tool & Die Making, CNC Programming, PLC, Embedded Systems, CAD/CAM etc) and aero-engine & auto component production for HAL (MIG & Sukhoi Engine division)
- Affiliated to Sector Skill Councils: Automotive, Electronics, Agriculture, BFSI, Retail, Capital Goods, Plumbing
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) – many trainees are not eligible for ITI/Diploma or higher education as they have not cleared class Xth. CUTM has a partnership with NIOS to register all its under matric trainees into NIOS with credit transfer for the vocational course they are pursuing as part of their class Xth examination through Open Schooling.
The focus has been on developing technical skills and behavioral traits for job roles in the manufacturing sector. This is achieved through the following skill programs:
- Long term NSQF compliant courses (Level 3-Level 7)
- Level 2,3,4 courses – as per NCVT guidelines delivered at our NCVT affiliated ITIs (4 in Odisha, 1 in AP and 1 in Assam)
- Level 5,6,7 courses (Diploma, Advanced Diploma, B Voc) - as per UGC guidelines where our institution is an approved KAUSHAL Center under the UGC scheme ‘Deen Dayal Upadhyay Centers for Knowledge Acquisition & Upgradation of Skilled Human Abilities (KAUSHAL)’.
- Short term advanced skill courses (Level 5/6):
- Mini Tool Room & Training Center: of Odisha supported center at Paralakhemundi where we are imparting training in advanced skills like CNC, Tool & Die Making, CAD/CAM, PLC, Embedded Systems, VLSI etc. Most courses are aligned to ESSC and ASDC with Production linkage – the Mini Tool room is also empaneled as a vendor with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and machines aero engine components for MIG and Sukhoi Engine Divisions.
- Short term govt. schemes – all are QP/NOS compliant (Level 2/3/4/5)
- DDU GKY, Odisha State Employment Mission, Assam Employment Generation Mission – placement linked training for school and college dropouts where we train over 10,000 youth per year for jobs in the industrial belts
- PMKVY implementation through SSCs like Apparel, Automotive, Telecom etc.
- ESDM implementation through Electronics SSC and Telecom SSC
- Joint skill development programs with industry
- Ashok Leyland – training and placement of ITI graduates as heavy vehicle service technicians
- Godrej & Boyce – skill development programs with 4 divisions namely
- Godrej Appliances (RAC Mechanic),
- Godrej Material Handling (Forklift Operator & Maintenance)
- Godrej Interio (Furniture assembly technician & Woodwork technician)
- Godrej Process Equipment (Fitters, Welders & CNC Operators)
- Yamaha – A placement linked integrated training program consisting of training of school dropouts as two wheeler service technicians
- Tata Motors- training and placement of drivers
- Hyundai, Volvo Eicher- new programs for service technicians and drivers
- Café Coffee Day, Four Fountain Spa – training and placement of café brewmasters and spa therapists
- Programs with DGT:
- Institute of Training of Trainers (ITOT) for training of ITI instructors under CITS
- Testing Centre for Testing the Competencies of Assessors of Empaneled Assessing Bodies under the SDI Scheme
- Assessing Body under Skill Development Initiative (SDI) Scheme based on Modular Employable Skills (MES) for Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh vide letter no MSDE-2/1/2015 dated 5 June 2015
- RPL Testing Institute vide letter no. DGET-4/13/2014-MES/IS dt 13 February 2015
- Model Career Counseling Centre (as per MoU dt. 31 March 2015)
- RPL Testing Centre for Testing Competencies of Assessors for empanelled Assessing Bodies under RPL
- Temping and Work Integrated Training
- Patil Group to train unskilled workers in construction sector to become skilled welders over a 1 year period. The trainees were deployed as temp workers and were paid a stipend through Gram Tarang.
- TVS Sundaram Fasteners: ITI graduates from Odisha and AP were placed on contractual employment and put through a certificate course in CNC Programming while at the workplace.
- Café Coffee Day: 10th & 12th pass youth are trained over a 12-month period (3 months in center and 9 months on the job) for deployment in Cafes across India. After completion of one year, students get a Level 4 certificate in Hospitality Management and are allowed to enrol for a BBA program in work integrated mode. This is currently being delivered in Bangalore.